"He Prayed for ME!" September 2 Readings: John 17
Reading the Bible Chronologically in 2026
Bible Readings: John 17
Background:
Daily Devotional: He Prayed for ME!"
The night before Jesus died, just before he agonized in the Garden, before he was arrested, and put on trial, Jesus prayed - he prayed for YOU! Yes, my friend, he prayed for you, and he prayed for me. Think about that. In his hour of agony, pain, and stress, when the most awful moment of history awaited him, he interceded with the Father on our behalf.
John 17 is the real "Lord's Prayer." The prayer to which we've assigned that name is the one he gave to his disciples to pray. It is the "Disciples' Prayer." But the prayer that reveals the heart of Jesus is John 17 - it shows what he really thought and felt. Verse 20 makes it clear that this prayer was not just for the men who were with him in the Upper Room.
“I do not ask for these only, but also for those who will believe in me through their word.”
Sanctify them in the truth; your word is truth.
...that they may all be one, just as you, Father, are in me, and I in you, that they also may be in us, so that the world may believe that you have sent me.
Jesus wanted his disciples to walk in unity and oneness. In fact, the unity of the Body of Christ was meant to reflect and demonstrate the unity that existed among the members of the Trinity.
To my shame, I have failed often in walking in the holiness of Christ, in the process of sanctification by the Word. But just as often I've failed in my relationships to reflect the divine oneness that Jesus Christ called us to demonstrate. I've failed more than I've succeeded.
Here's the good news. Jesus prayed for me! I know his prayers will not fail. The process may be slow, and the answer may not be complete, but I know that God will answer and I will be all that God wants me to be, all that Jesus prayed that I would become! Jesus' prayer will be answered!
Father, I thank you for the confidence I have in Christ that one day I will be fully sanctified in Christ and that I will experience perfect unity in the Body of Christ. I thank you that this depends on the work of Christ in me!
Consider God's Word:
How is it going today? How are you doing?
Are you walking in holiness and purity before the Lord?
Are you walking in unity or in broken relationships, grudges, and division?
Comments
Post a Comment