My Help in Darkness - November 24 Readings: Psalm 18:1-6

 


 

Give Thanks to God


Today's Reading: My Help in Darkness            


For the choir director. Of the servant of the Lord, David, who spoke the words of this song to the Lord on the day the Lord rescued him from the grasp of all his enemies and from the power of Saul. He said:


1 I love you, Lord, my strength.
2 The Lord is my rock,
my fortress, and my deliverer,
my God, my rock where I seek refuge,
my shield and the horn of my salvation,
my stronghold.
3 I called to the Lord, who is worthy of praise,
and I was saved from my enemies.


4 The ropes of death were wrapped around me;
the torrents of destruction terrified me.
5 The ropes of Sheol entangled me;
the snares of death confronted me.
6 I called to the Lord in my distress,
and I cried to my God for help.
From his temple he heard my voice,
and my cry to him reached his ears.

 

Through the Bible Readings: Daniel 5-6, James 1, Psalm 130:5–131:3, Proverbs28:25–26 

If you wish to read through the Bible in a year, follow these readings. 

Devotional:        


Several years ago, we were shopping over the Thanksgiving weekend at Barnes and Noble and my granddaughter saw a gift she wanted - some ridiculous thing called a hatchimal. Jenni and her parents diverted her while I circled around and got the special sale item and snuck to the cashier, paid for it, and put it in a bag (got it double-bagged so she couldn't see). As we left the store, she got increasingly agitated that we weren't buying the hatchimals for her. As the scene escalated (kids are born with the instinct to embarrass parents and grandparents in public) I was struck by the irony that she was throwing a tantrum to get something I'd already purchased. It was in my hand and I was going to give it to her. It was hers, she just hadn't received it yet.

Not a subtle point, right?

I wonder if God sometimes looks at us as I looked at Johannah that day. I often fret, fume, and rage about things he has already dealt with. I am worrying and he's got it taken care of. Perhaps the answer hasn't come yet, but it is on the way. I strive and struggle, instead of simply resting and trusting in him. When the answer comes, I feel the fool. Then, too often, I do the same thing the next time.

It's not as if God has ever let me down or dropped the ball. Yes, there have been times when I've had to wait for his answers and I've wondered if he'd forgotten me, but time proved his constant fidelity. Too often, I do not take advantage of the protection and blessing that he offers. Look what Psalm 18 says God is to us. 
He is our strength, our rock, our fortress, our deliverer, our refuge. He is my shield and the one who saves me.  
Is God my shield, my fortress? Absolutely! His power, his protection, his blessing, his care, and his constant presence are all available to me by grace through faith in Christ. But there are too many times I fail to take refuge in him. I stress out, freak out, fret, and fall apart because I try to handle on my own what God has already dealt with by his sovereign power. God is always there and always faithful, but I am so busy trying to take care of everything myself that I don't even notice.What folly.

God has never given me a reason to distrust him so I must learn to trust him daily. His love is unbounded, his faithfulness is eternal, his grace is amazing and his power is overwhelming. So, I must repent of my independence, release my grip on my own life and relax into his grace. He is my shield and I trust him.

Father, I trust you to protect me from those who might seek my destruction. I will take refuge in you and not in the power of my flesh. 


Giving Thanks:

What characteristics of God do you see here for which you can give thanks? 
What has God done for you for which you can give thanks? 
Do you trust in God's grace and "take refuge in him" or do you stress and worry as you try to handle life in this world on your own.
Think back to the last major crisis you dealt with - personally, professionally, as a family. Did your response to that demonstrate faith or fear? Did it show that you were taking refuge in God or trying to fight the battle on your own?



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Battle Begins" February 9 Readings: Numbers 31-36

"King of the Hill" October 18 Readings: Jeremiah 39-40, Colossians 1:1–23, Psalm 118:25–29, Proverbs 25:15–16

"Victory after Victory" March 23 Readings: 2 Samuel 8-9, 1 Chronicles 18, Psalm 53